[Python-Dev] Looking for VCS usage scenarios

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 16:31:40 CET 2008

2008/11/5 Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org>:

> On Nov 5, 2008, at 6:09 AM, Paul Moore wrote:
>
>> I'll freely admit a (not very) hidden bias here - the slowness of an
>> initial clone (or going through the "download a shared repo, unpack
>> it, create a branch and update" rigmarole) makes this a nasty test for
>> Bazaar. But I do nevertheless think it's an important use case, as
>> it's all about encouraging casual users to contribute.
>
> One thing that we're not taking advantage of on code.python.org for Bazaar
> is "stacked branches".  This is basically an indirection technique that
> doesn't require a full revision history download to get started.  Stacked
> branches greatly improve performance for the initial pull and push, and
> reduces disk usage on the server.

While that would be good, my understanding is that stacked branches in
Bazaar only work (for history operations) while you're online. So they
make Bazaar work a little like a centralised VCS, I guess. Not sure
how that's a step forward :-)

> When the new machine is in place, I'll make sure we provide stacked branches
> for the MvL Experiment.

It would certainly be nice to be able to try such things out.

Paul.