[Python-Dev] Using Cython for standard library?

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Wed Nov 5 20:56:10 CET 2008

Terry Reedy wrote:
> Stefan Behnel wrote:
>> One really neat feature is that you can put a .pxd file next to your .py
>> file and let it override the function signatures and classes. So you do
>> not even need Py3 annotations, which have the obvious disadvantage of
>> requiring Py3.
>
> That is not much of a disadvantage for code intended to be compiled.

... unless you have a reason for caring about a pure Python mode, which
usually is because you want it to run in pure Python. :)

When Cython becomes part of the stdlib, say, in Py3.1 and/or 2.7, this means
that those future Python versions that support annotations will (mostly) also
support Cython compilation. Earlier CPython platforms and non-CPython
interpreters are the problem here.

> Support for nested defs and generators is much more critical.

Agreed. Given the current status of the implementation, that's only a question
of time, not a technical issue.

> Typo? Should 'typedef(cython.p_int)' be 'cython.typedef(cython.p_int)'?
> Also, the 'enhancement' page has separate misspelled 'seperate' twice.

Thanks for catching those. I also added a link to the Wiki.

Stefan