[Python-Dev] Looking for VCS usage scenarios

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Thu Nov 6 01:53:32 CET 2008

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> Yes.  My understanding, though I haven't tried it yet, is that newer
>> versions of the bzr-svn plugin do a good job at a full conversion.
>> Basically, every svn branch becomes a bzr branch and all svn tags are
>> converted to bzr tags, which are not separate branches, but actual
>> symbolic names for revisions in other branches.
> Unless somebody had committed to the tag - right?

svn doesn't have any true tags, AFAIK:  everything is a branch.
Committing to a tag for "housekeeping" is a not-uncommon pattern in some
projects (e.g., to avoid making spurious housekeeping commits on the
source branch which have to be undone after making the tag).  The
canonical example would be changing the 'version' argument passed to
distutils / setuptools setup().

Under this culture / pattern, one would tag the release, then modify the
version on the quasi-tag branch, rather than committing the released
version of setup.py to the source branch, only to follow it immediately
with another commit reverting the release-specific change.

- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)