[Python-Dev] Getting Set Up dev doc

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sun Nov 9 04:04:30 CET 2008

Thanks to the flu that I am getting over I finally got around to start
writing the dev docs I have been planning to author for years. The
first one is how to get set up, with the draft at
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg7fctr4_5457424jfh . Obviously any
corrections are appreciated.

About the only thing I am unsure about with the doc is what the proper
separation between this doc and the dev FAQ should be. At this point
the FAQ has organically grown to the svn and ssh cheatsheet, which
makes me think that I should move all tool-specific info in this doc
to the dev FAQ and just reference the specific sections from this doc.
But I am somewhat hesitant about doing that as I don't want the FAQ to
get overloaded and just become The Dev Doc For Everything.

And so everyone knows where I am going with this, I plan to have docs
on the life of an issue (with a good chunk dedicated to writing
patches), various ways to get involved, and how to get stuff into
Python. That should cover all of the basics along with the dev FAQ.
Those of you who attended my tutorial on sprinting on the core at
PyCon 2008 should recognize how I am breaking the information down in
my head.

-Brett