[Python-Dev] Feedback from numerical/math community on PEP 225

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 05:21:02 CET 2008

On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 5:01 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> a while back there was a discussion about new operators for the language, which
> ended in people mentioning that the status of PEP 225 was still undecided and
> that it was the most likely route to consider in this discussion.  I offered
> to collect some feedback from the numerical and math/scientific computing
> communities and report back here.

While not an user of numpy, I feel legitimate to give my feedback as a
person with a scientific background.
I personally have always felt the lack of a binary operator expressing
non-commutative multiplication.
It could be used for matrices, but also for functions composition and
other more abstract things. I think a single new operator is all is
needed.

                Michele Simionato