[Python-Dev] A statistic for Python tickets

Scott Dial scott+python-dev at scottdial.com
Wed Nov 12 06:40:27 CET 2008

Facundo Batista wrote:
> I just graphed the first number.... how many tickets are open since
> the different periods. As you can see here [1], the tickets that are
> open since less than a week remain more or less constant. Those opened
> between a week and two months even seem to go down a little in the
> last weeks.
>
> But those opened more than two months ago just increase.

I think you are finding the answer you want in the data. If I am not
mistaken, by definition those tickets that are over a week old (and
still open) get moved from the "week old" category (decrease) and into
the "two month old" category (increase). The same being true of "two
month old" -> "year" and "year" -> "older". So you really cannot say
with any sort of certainty why "week", "two_month", or "year" decrease
at all.

I think you really have just roughly taken a moving average of the
number of tickets opened with different window sizes. What you really
want to know is how many tickets that are up to X days old are newly
resolved (the ticket-resolution rate). Then, I think you could make the
statements you just made.

BTW, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your insights into ticket
pathology.

-Scott

--
Scott Dial