[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] 2.6.1 and 3.0

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Nov 19 07:02:23 CET 2008

>  > While I'm happy that Barry has automated his part to a high degree,
>  > my part is, unfortunately, much less automated. I could personally
>  > automate the build process a bit more, but part of it is also testing
>  > of the installers, which is manual.
>
> Maybe you could delegate a lot of the testing to competent volunteers?

That's not the issue - I don't mind spending that time. However, it
means that several hours pass between starting the release process, and
making the binaries available - during this time, users always complain
why the Windows binaries are not released yet.

With additional volunteers, availability of the binaries would lag even
more behind the release announcement.

> [1]  Doesn't Windows have a way to send synthetic GUI events to a
> program?  There ought to be a way to really script that, as the Python
> installer process presumbly doesn't change much from release to release.

I also need to involve different machines, e.g. XP machines and Vista
machines, and machines that have Visual Studio installed and machines
that don't. Plus, I need to log into each machine in different ways:
as admin user and non-admin user. The automated GUI testing only really
works for a logged-in user.

Regards,
Martin