[Python-Dev] building Tcl/Tk to deploy on other platforms?

Guilherme Polo ggpolo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 00:09:18 CET 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 8:42 PM, chris <cdcasey at gmail.com> wrote:
> I built Python 2.5.2 on RedHat3 and wrapped it up with some other
> stuff that was deployed on RedHat4. When trying to fire up Idle on
> RedHat4, there is an error that states a usable init.tcl cannot be
> found.

Then you have to set the TCL_LIBRARY environment variable, it should
point to the directory that contains the correct init.tcl file.
If it then complains about not finding tk.tcl, then you have to set
the TK_LIBRARY env var too.

> Python is built on RedHat3 against Tcl/Tk 8.3, so even installing
> Tcl/Tk on RedHat4 would not work, as it is 8.4.
>
> I've noticed when Python is installed on Windows, all the necessary
> stuff is also installed in the Python25 directory. Is there a similar
> way to do this on linux?

Adjust the TCL_LIBRARY and TK_LIBRARY as needed.

> Thanks,
> -Chris

-- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves