[Python-Dev] Python for windows.

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Thu Nov 27 00:11:12 CET 2008

> I can promise you Python on our system Python work perfectly.

I'm sure it does :)  I'm more concerned about *your* apps not working when
the user, or a "helpful" friend, uninstalls this Python thing that they
don't use.  I'm very interested to know why you don't see this as a
significant problem with a relatively easy solution?

> very often as our main scripting/programming tool like some other would
> use jscript or C#.

Yes, but apps written in jscript and C# tend not to rely on something
external, out of their control, that the user may remove.  Even for apps
written in C which rely on the C runtime library, the advice is still to
ship a private copy of that CRT.  OTOH, I guess some .NET apps *do* fall
into this category...

> So out of the three issue:
>
>         - The three executable could be change to .dat ?

I think that should be quite easy to do - I'll volunteer for this one (but
not for a few days)

>         - So if I understand well python_icon.exe is only stocking all
> the icon for python ?

I'm not familiar with that.

>         - I just checked for the version number it is not required
> expect for the uninstalled key which is already clean.

So to be clear, you don't desire any changes here?

BTW - isn't there also a "\Program Files" requirement...?

Cheers,

Mark