[Python-Dev] Python for windows.

Bugbee, Larry larry.bugbee at boeing.com
Thu Nov 27 22:20:02 CET 2008

> > > All, and not to start flames, but I still do not understand why
> > > applink.c isn't included in python's main (conditionally) instead
> > > of expecting users, many of them novices, to do the build.  ???
> >
> > One reason is that I don't know what applink is, and why I should care
> > about it. (I may have known in the past, but then I have forgotten
> > since).
>
> Yeah, it's been a while for me too.
>
> As I recall, OpenSSL, a long while ago stopped, supporting some
> idiosyncrasies associated with Windows I/O and opted for a "cleaner"
> approach, that of requiring developers to link a small file, applink.c,
> into the app's main.  applink.c is provided by the OpenSSL folks.

This is a years old issue and while I periodically revisited and confirmed the problem remained (again as late as a month or two ago), all of this is from memory and I cannot tell you version numbers and the like.  Before pursuing further, I should do virgin installs and test again.  I'll report back my findings in a couple of days, either way.

My thanks,

Larry