[Python-Dev] Python for windows.

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Fri Nov 28 00:15:19 CET 2008

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> All, and not to start flames, but I still do not understand why
>> applink.c isn't included in python's main (conditionally) instead of
>> expecting users, many of them novices, to do the build.  ???
>
> One reason is that I don't know what applink is, and why I should
> care about it. (I may have known in the past, but then I have forgotten
> since).

Applink is roughly explained at
http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#PROG2. The matter was discussed
about half a year ago but no decision was made. See
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2008-March/077424.html

applink.c is just a table of integer constants to function pointers. It
makes mixing of different CRTs secure. You'll get the idea after reading
the file, Martin. A similar approach could be useful for Python, too.

Christian