[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] New proposition for Python3 bytes filename issue

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Oct 1 00:32:03 CEST 2008

> How does windows (and Python on windows) handle NFC versus NFD issues?

That's left to the application.

> Can I have two files called "ümlaut.txt", one in NFD and one NFC form?

Yes, you can. It sounds confusing, but only in a theoretical way. You
never have combining characters on Windows (at least, I don't). The
keyboard input defaults to NFC, and users normally don't type file
names, anyways, except when creating the files - later, they just use
the mouse to indicate what file they want to act on.

> And are both of those representable on the Python side (i.e. can they
> both be returned from listdir() and passed to open())?

Certainly!

> CIf I compare
> these two filenames, do they compare differently?

Certainly!

Regards,
Martin