[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] New proposition for Python3 bytes filename issue

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Wed Oct 1 18:20:06 CEST 2008

On 03:54 pm, janssen at parc.com wrote:
>I'm actually sort of liking this idea.  A Pathname class, for
>a subtype of String, but containing the underlying binary
>used by the OS.  Even non-unicode pathnames could be represented.

On the one hand, I agree with you - except for the part where it's a
subtype of String, that doesn't work.  In case I haven't mentioned it
enough times already:

On the other hand, we've all been on this merry-go-round before:

Note especially the rejection notice: "Subclassing from str is a
particularly bad idea".

Again, one day I'd really like to add one of these to Python.  Now is
not the time.