[Python-Dev] www.python.org/doc and docs.python.org hotfixed

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Thu Oct 2 14:17:37 CEST 2008

Doug Hellmann schrieb:

>> Not a single one, no. The URLs *all* changed. There is not a single
>> one that's the same. We may be able to do a single rewrite rule for
>> most of the module-*.html URLs, but everything else -- and there is
>> quite a lot of 'else' in the 2.5-and-earlier docs -- needs a better
>> mapping. Feel free to send me that mapping :-)
>
> Perhaps it has already been suggested and rejected for some reason, but
> we could include the major/minor version numbers in the URLs.  That
> would make it easier to rewrite old URLs, and I assume there will be 2.x
> and 3.x documentation available online for some period of time?
>
> docs.python.org/lib/* could redirect to docs.python.org/2.5/lib/*

That would be possible, but not sensible IMO -- it doesn't make people
update their links, instead keeps links to outdated documentation.

We already have archived versioned docs at http://www.python.org/doc/X.Y.

> That way all of the old references (in Google and bookmarks) would still
> work.
>
> Perhaps we should restore the old version of the files until this is
> resolved?  Being redirected to the top landing page is a little
> disconcerting if you come to the site through a search engine and aren't
> familiar with the organization of the manual.  For example, I went to
> look for the documentation on how slots work, and ended up at the top of
> the reference manual.  The local search didn't work (no results),
> "slots" isn't in the index, and google still has the old URL.

__slots__ is in the index (with the underscores). The local search shows me
__slots__ as the first result when I search for "__slots__" or "slots".

As for Google, I can only assume it will soon update its index.

Nevertheless, I will come up with a mapping for the old module URLs,
which is relatively easy.

Georg