[Python-Dev] Doc nits question

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Thu Oct 2 15:36:51 CEST 2008

Jesse Noller schrieb:
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 9:21 AM, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
>> Jesse Noller schrieb:
>>> So, we just released and there are a few doc typo bugs being filed -
>>> my question is if all doc-fixes have to wait for 2.6.1/2.7 or if we
>>> can hotfix the 2.6 docs?
>>
>> I intend to set things up so that the docs at docs.python.org are continually
>> rebuilt, just like the /dev docs were until now.
>>
>> Georg
>
> Fantastic, so the doc updates should go to the 2.6 branch, correct?
> (Not that I'm suggesting checking in all willy nilly)

This is another thing that needs to be discussed: how to handle backports
between 2.6 and 2.7. Up to now, we backported changes from trunk to maint
manually, but after the experience we've had with svnmerge, I see several
possibilities:

1. Do bugfixes in maint, merge them to trunk via svnmerge. This has the
   drawback that you have to work in two different repos for fixes vs.
   new features. The advantage however is that normally all fixes that
   go into maint apply to trunk as well, so almost no blocks need to be done.
   However, since Py3k merges are done from trunk, the 3k merge will see
   merges as single commits, so they aren't easy to block if not applicable.
   This will mean more conflicts.

2. Do bugfixes in trunk, and merge them to maint via svnmerge.
   Arguments as for 1, but reversed: many blocks, but less problems with 3k.

3. Backport bugfixes manually, like for the previous maintenance branches.

cheers,
Georg