[Python-Dev] www.python.org/doc and docs.python.org hotfixed

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Thu Oct 2 15:51:08 CEST 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 15:47, <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

>    >> Not a single one, no. The URLs *all* changed. There is not a single
>    >> one that's the same. We may be able to do a single rewrite rule for
>    >> most of the module-*.html URLs, but everything else -- and there is
>    >> quite a lot of 'else' in the 2.5-and-earlier docs -- needs a better
>    >> mapping. Feel free to send me that mapping :-)
>
>     Antoine> My bad. I thought it was just a matter of doing a generic
>    Antoine> substitution.  Well, then we'll have to live with it I suppose
>    Antoine> :)
>
> Unfortunately, without some mapping the search engines will toss everything
> out.  While they will eventually get around to fetching
> http://docs.python.org/ and traversing the tree of pages, but that might
> take awhile.  I won't have time for the next day or two to scan the docs
> error log, but if I can come up with a list of the ten most frequent
> failures I suspect we can easily define RewriteRule directives for them.

To be sure, the URLs *are* mapped. They're just mapped to something other
than they were mapped to before -- because those pages no longer exist for
the 'current version' of the documentation. Pages covering the same or
nearly the same thing may exist in some cases, but not in others. We can do
a best-effort to redirect the old URLs to something covering the same
information, or we can wait a few days to let search engines realize the
URLs changed, and let everyone else deal with searching a little further for
the information they had bookmarked.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!