[Python-Dev] for __future__ import planning

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Sat Oct 4 00:00:40 CEST 2008

Benjamin Peterson wrote:
> I propose that we dramatically shorten our release cycle for 2.7/3.1
> to roughly a year and put a strong focus stabilizing all the new
> goodies we included in the last release(s). In the 3.x branch, we
> should continue to solidify the new code and features that were
> introduced. One 2.7's main objectives should be binding 3.x and 2.x
> ever closer.

Hey! That was my idea! I told you the very same idea on IRC a week ago.
Shame on you!

:)

I'm +1 on the proposal. Let's focus on stability and performance for the
next release. But before we start planning the next release we need to
find a way to sync the development.
Soon we have to apply fixes to up to four (again FOUR) branches: 2.6,
2.7, 3.0 and 3.1. We don't have to merge as many code as we did during
the py3k phase. But it's still lots of work and we need all the
(technical) help we can get.

Christian