[Python-Dev] 3.1 focus (was Re: for __future__ import planning)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Oct 4 21:17:21 CEST 2008

> Well, since for >95% of the (potential) Py3k users it is more important than
> e.g. the import rewrite in Python (no stab at you intended, Brett), it is
> something someone will have to get around to doing.
>
> I'm not excusing myself; in fact, I'd be happy to work on this, but overall
> the team "Python 3 advocacy and support" should consist of more than one
> person.

I think this has time. I'm (now) confident that people will port to
Python 3 sooner rather than later, just because it's there. In fact,
we have to be careful not to talk too many people into porting, since
there will be some glitches which need to be resolved, and may not get
resolved before 3.2 or so. So people with a natural wariness are advised
to trust this wariness, or else all their concerns become
self-fulfilling prophecies.

Regards,
Martin