[Python-Dev] 3.1 focus (was Re: for __future__ import planning)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Oct 5 18:32:26 CEST 2008

> Of course there is also the option of treating Python 3 as a different
> language, and having a Py3Pi website as well. This might not be as
> wasteful as it at first seems.

Although it would be possible, I think it's not appropriate.

It would be fairly easy to implement, though: just create
pypi.python.org/python3 (say), along with /simple3 and /packages3.
I find it inappropriate for two reasons: over time, Python 2 will
disappear, and then we are left with the python3 URLs (similar
how Microsoft now needs to put 64-bit binaries into the system32
folder). In addition, packages that do support both versions need
to register twice, upload twice, etc.

In any case, if that route is chosen, we have to adjust distutils
before the 3.0 release is made.

Regards,
Martin