[Python-Dev] Proposed Python 3.0 schedule

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Tue Oct 7 03:48:18 CEST 2008

[Barry Warsaw]
> So, we need to come up with a new release schedule for Python 3.0.  My
> suggestion:
>
> 15-Oct-2008 3.0 beta 4
> 05-Nov-2008 3.0 rc 2
> 19-Nov-2008 3.0 rc 3
> 03-Dec-2008 3.0 final
>
> Given what still needs to be done, is this a reasonable schedule?  Do
> we need two more betas?

Yes to both questions.

I'm seeing that people are just starting to download and play with 3.0.
I expect that we'll start getting more feedback on conversion issues,
the C API, screwy interactions with operating systems, bytes/text issues,
unanticipated interactions with other tools, etc.  Each user will stress
it in new ways and perhaps reveal a bunch of little integration issues
and documentation issues.  Those little fixups way go a long way toward
establishing a good first impression and reputation for 3.0 from the outset.

Raymond