[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] Proposed Python 3.0 schedule

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Oct 7 22:28:30 CEST 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 5:47 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> So, we need to come up with a new release schedule for Python 3.0.  My
> suggestion:
>
> 15-Oct-2008 3.0 beta 4
> 05-Nov-2008 3.0 rc 2
> 19-Nov-2008 3.0 rc 3
> 03-Dec-2008 3.0 final
>
> Given what still needs to be done, is this a reasonable schedule?  Do we
> need two more betas?

I know I'm contradicting what I said earlier, but perhaps we should
just forget going back to beta and stick to ever-more-perfect release
candidates? In other worlds release candidates often contain tons of
imperfections (I believe I've seen this both for Java and Windows) and
the label "release candidate" more clearly encourages people to
download and play with it, which is what we need at this point! Then
the schedule would be something like

  15-Oct-2008 3.0 rc 2
  05-Nov-2008 3.0 rc 3
  19-Nov-2008 3.0 rc 4