[Python-Dev] porting pycxx and pysvn to python 3.0 hit a problem

Barry Scott barry at barrys-emacs.org
Wed Oct 8 01:20:55 CEST 2008

On Oct 7, 2008, at 23:31, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>> In V3 is it your intention that to be a key you must implement
>> tp_hash and tp_richcompare? If not I'll raise a bug against
>> 3.0 on this issue.
>
> I believe that cmp/tp_compare are being phased out, although
> I think there was a heavy debate about this.

Given the problems I am seeing with tp_compare I'd advise
that you get rid of it for 3.0. The half hearted support is worst
then no support. At least if you remove tp_compare it forces
a porter to implement tp_richcompare.

> In any case, I think you really need to implement tp_richcompare.

I've added support already in PyCXX. I'll now implement
tp_richcompare for pysvn and document this in my PyCXX
porting guide.

Barry