[Python-Dev] 2.5.3: assessing commits

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Wed Oct 8 02:44:09 CEST 2008

I've begun the task of assessing the 2.6 commits, but the job is
unexpectedly large.

What I did:

* Took the output of 'svn log -r60999:66717'.  (2.5.2 was branched
  from rev. 60999, so I'm ignoring commits to the trunk before 2.5.2 was
  branch, which may miss some things.)

* Wrote a little script to explode the log into a separate file for each
  commit.  This resulted in about 2200 files.

* Did a long series of 'grep' and 'rm' commands to remove irrelevant files.
  For example, if the commit touches abc.py, bytesobject.c, bytearrayobject.c,
  etc. it was removed.

* Wrote a little script to find commits that only touch the docs, and moved them

At this point I still have 1191 files left.  Many of these commits are
still irrelevant, but this is a lot for me to look through.  A tarball
with the remaining commits is at

Can we parallelize the job?  One person could take commits starting
with '01', another with '02', etc.  Or each person could assess the
commits they made.