[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r66863 - python/trunk/Modules/posixmodule.c

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Oct 9 23:08:43 CEST 2008

[switching to python-dev]

Georg Brandl wrote:
> Martin v. Löwis schrieb:
>>> Respectfully disagree.  Some people here having been taking
>>> responsibility for keeping the branches in-sync
>> Which people specifically?
>
> Specifically, Christian, Benjamin and myself have done larger merges
> to the 3k branch in the past, and if svnmerge is used, I suspect will
> do the same for 2.6.

That's different, though. Does any of you has actually taken
*responsibility* to do so, either unlimited, or with some limitation?
(e.g. for a year, or until 2.7 is released, or for all changes
but bsddb and Windows).
I would be (somewhat) happy to hear that, but I wouldn't really expect
it - we are all volunteers, and we typically consider taking
responsibility (e.g. as a release manager) very carefully.

Please don't get me wrong: I very much appreciate that you volunteer,
but I don't want to discharge any committer from merging on the
assumption that someone has formally taken responsibility.

I would be skeptical relying on such a commitment, knowing that RL
can get in the way too easily. E.g. Christian disappeared for some
time, and I completely sympathize with that - but it also tells
me that I can't trust on somebody doing something unless that someone
has explicitly said that he will do that, hoping that he will tell
me when the commitment is no longer valid (the same happened, e.g.,
in the Python job board, and happens all the time in other projects -
it took me about a year before I stepped back as the PyXML maintainer).

I can *also* sympathize with committers that say "we don't want to
backport, because we either don't have the time, or the expertise
(say, to install and run svnmerge on Windows)". I just accept that
not all patches that deserve backporting actually do get backported
(just as not all patches that deserve acceptance do get accepted,
in the first place).

Regards,
Martin