[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r66863 - python/trunk/Modules/posixmodule.c

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Fri Oct 10 01:35:37 CEST 2008

On 11:12 pm, martin at v.loewis.de wrote:
>>- The backport to release26-maint
>>http://svn.python.org/view?rev=66865&view=rev
>>also merged other changes (new unrelated unit tests).

>>IMO unrelated
>>changes should be committed separately: different commit messages help
>>to understand the motivation of each backport.

This I agree with completely, but...
>I'm skeptical that new tests actually need backporting at all. Python
>doesn't really get better by new tests being added to an old branch.

Presumably if the new tests cover functionality that somebody cares
about, it would be valuable to make sure that maintenance bugfixes don't
break this functionality in maintenance branches either?  In fact, I
would think that maintenance branches would want to be much _more_
paranoid about making sure that changes don't break anything.

(Again: not specific to these unrelated tests that are getting merged,
it sounds like accidentally - it just seems strange, as a general
principle or policy, to say that maintenance branches shouldn't have new
tests added to them.)