[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r66863 - python/trunk/Modules/posixmodule.c

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Fri Oct 10 17:44:51 CEST 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 08:44:38AM +0200, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> So 2.6.0 will contain a lot of tests that have never been tested in
> a wide variety of systems. Some are incorrect, and get fixed in 2.6.1,
> and stay fixed afterwards. This is completely different from somebody
> introducing a new test in 2.6.4. It means that there are more failures
> in a maintenance release, not less as in the first case.

Indeed.  Looking at the commit logs, I had to split out all the
test-only commits into a separate list, and tests often took several
attempts to get working on all platforms.  I think backporting should
be prioritized into 1) bug fixes, 2) documentation improvements, 3)
tests.  For 2.5.3, we should just ignore 2) and 3); documentation
patches will require rewriting from reST into LaTeX, which is too much
effort for the return, and tests are even less useful to the end
users, being primarily useful for Python's developers.

(2.5.3 reminder: there are lists of commits in sandbox/py2.5.3 to be
considered.  I've seen no reactions on python-dev or modifications to
those files, so I don't think anyone else is looking at them.  Is
everyone waiting for the weekend, maybe?)

--amk