[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r66863 - python/trunk/Modules/posixmodule.c

Hirokazu Yamamoto ocean-city at m2.ccsnet.ne.jp
Sat Oct 11 00:07:56 CEST 2008

>> It seems to me that Skip was asking whether the "memory leak" impacted
>> the 2.6 branch, and the answer should have been "No": the change that
>> introduced the memory leak had just been committed 10 minutes before.
>>

> You are probably right (although it's not quite clear from Skip's question).

Umm, sorry for misunderstandings.  I thought he indicated the set of two
patches.
>> - Because of this misunderstanding, the changes to this
>> GetCurrentDirectoryW were backported to the release2.6 branch, despite
>> the fact that it's not a regression from a previous version, the NEWS
>> entry explicitly expresses doubts about the correction (which I happen
>> to share), there is no unit test and no item in the issue tracker.
>>

> I think it is fine that this fix was backported (assuming, without
> review, that the fix is actually correct).
>
> It is a bugfix, and it shouldn't realistically break existing applications.
>
> IOW, PEP 6 was followed (except that there is no Patch Czar).

Thanks, I'm a bit relaxed. :-)
>> - The backport to release26-maint http://svn.python.org/view?rev=66865&view=rev
>> also merged other changes (new unrelated unit tests). IMO unrelated
>> changes should be committed separately: different commit messages help
>> to understand the motivation of each backport.
>>

> Yes, that is unfortunate.
>
> I'm skeptical that new tests actually need backporting at all. Python
> doesn't really get better by new tests being added to an old branch.
> Near-term, it might get worse because the new tests might cause false
> positives, making users worried for no reason.

OK, I'll do separate commit for release26-maint even via svnmerge.py  (I
did same way as in py3k)
But I'm bit confused. This is difficult problem for me, so I 'll commit
to only trunk until some consensus
will be established.