[Python-Dev] [ANN] VPython 0.1

J. Sievers cadr4u at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 09:53:12 CEST 2008

"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at egenix.com> writes:

[snip]
> BTW: I hope you did not use pybench to get profiles of the opcodes.
> That would most certainly result in good results for pybench, but
> less good ones for general applications such as Django or Zope/Plone.

Algorithm used for superinstruction selection:

1) idea: LOAD_CONST/LOAD_FAST + some suffix
2) potential suffixes:
   $ grep '..*(..*--..*)$' ceval.vmg | grep 'a1 a2 --' > INSTRUCTIONS
3) delete any instruction that I felt wouldn't be particularly frequent
   from INSTRUCTIONS (e.g. raise_varargs)
4) use awk to generate superinstruction definitions

Not only is this relatively unbiased but also very low effort.

-jakob