[Python-Dev] [ANN] VPython 0.1

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sat Oct 25 05:33:23 CEST 2008

Stefan Behnel wrote:

> Funny to hear that from the author of a well-known code generator. ;-)

I've never claimed that anything about the implementation
of Pyrex is easy to follow. :-)

> Having two switch statements and a couple of separate
> special cases for a single eval loop might look pretty arbitrary and not
> straight forward at all to a reader who doesn't have enough background
> regarding the performance characteristics of Python's VM statements.

Maybe not, but at least you can follow what it's doing
just by knowing C. Introducing vmgen would introduce another
layer for the reader to learn about.

I'm not saying this is a bad enough problem to stop it
being done, just that it's something to consider that isn't
necessarily on the positive side.

--
Greg