[Python-Dev] is the 'path' argument to an importer's find_module() just a hint?

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Mon Oct 27 20:31:15 CET 2008

On 07:24 pm, brett at python.org wrote:
>On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 3:50 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>>Brett Cannon wrote:

>Good enough for me. Then I am just going to ignore the 'path' argument
>for frozen modules but use it to short-circuit imports for built-in
>modules.

For what it's worth, Twisted uses the __path__ attribute to facilitate
its plugin mechanism.  If this changes so that importing from frozen
packages no longer honors __path__, then Twisted will no longer support
plugins if the package to be plugged into is frozen.

What is the motivation to change this?