[Python-Dev] is the 'path' argument to an importer's find_module() just a hint?

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Mon Oct 27 21:53:36 CET 2008

On 08:44 pm, brett at python.org wrote:
>On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com>
>wrote:

>>If the current system is setting __path__ to a string in frozen
>>packages, I'd have to wonder how well any existing __path__
>>manipulation
>>tools handle frozen packages without special-casing them.

>I doubt anyone does. As Thomas asked, do people really even still use
>frozen modules?

Well, speaking of vaporware, I know that when Divmod is discussing
proprietary Python software with potential clients, Freeze often comes
up.  We tend to discourage its actual use, but the *possibility* of
jamming all the distributed Python modules into a shared library or
executable and never loading them directly from the filesystem has been
an important selling point of Python in the past.

I do know that a few commercial games have shipped with a big pile of
frozen Python inside them; I don't know when the most recent one was.