[Python-Dev] My patches

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at haypocalc.com
Thu Oct 30 13:02:02 CET 2008

> Let me remind you though that I've been mostly unavailable for the past two
> weeks at a work conference.

Cool, you're back :-) But my email was not against you.

> That's why I set the 3.0 schedule the way I did.

Personnaly, I don't want to get python 3.0 final with some broken modules or
some criticial problems. So it's a good thing to delay the release until bugs
are fixed.

> One of the reasons why I'm very keen on us moving to a distributed version
> control system is to help break the logjam on core developers.

Yeah, exactly :-) Does anyone already maintain a distributed tree? Mercurial,
GIT, anything else? I tried Mercurial which is nice (at least some small
project). But I think that GIT is the fatest and most robust system.

> you will be able to share your code, fixes, branches with everyone
> in a much more live way than patches in a tracker.

Right and it's very difficult to manage patches using the tracker. After
writing the patch, I have to revert all patches to be able to write a new
patch because it's easier to generate a patch in this way. But some patches
depend on other patches :-/

> In any case, I know it's frustrating not to get good timely feedback

A friend told me that his patch took 6 months to be applied :-/ (don't know
which one)

If Python would be more reactive, more developer will be attracted. The
communication is very important in an open source project. I contributed to
many many projects, and I can say that Python is already one of the most
reactive project! But it can be better ;-)

--
Victor Stinner aka haypo
http://www.haypocalc.com/blog/