[Python-Dev] My patches

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Thu Oct 30 16:04:27 CET 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 11:04:42AM +0000, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> One of the reasons why I'm very keen on us moving to a distributed version
> control system is to help break the logjam on core developers.  True, your
> code will still not be able to land in the "official" branch without core
> developer intervention, but you will be able to share your code, fixes,
> branches with everyone in a much more live way than patches in a tracker.

I don't see how a DVCS will fix anything.  The bottleneck is in
assessing patches for inclusion in the master tree; not enough people
are doing that.  We'd just end up with lots of proposed branches
waiting to be merged, instead of patches to be applied.

(What a DVCS might enable is making it easier to do larger
experiments, like the recent Vmgen work, and publish them in a form
that people can download.  We could create SVN branches now, but that
means people would then have commit access to all of the Python
source.)

--amk