[Python-Dev] My patches

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 17:25:16 CET 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I don't see how a DVCS will fix anything.  The bottleneck is in
>>> assessing patches for inclusion in the master tree; not enough people
>>> are doing that.  We'd just end up with lots of proposed branches
>>> waiting to be merged, instead of patches to be applied.
>>
>> Agreed. There are lots of patches around, but not enough core dev
>> man-hours to review and apply them. As just adding extra people as
>> core devs isn't going to work (I don't believe it's *hard* to become a
>> core dev at the moment, it just needs a level of commitment that many
>> people can't offer), and as adding hours to the day isn't possible
>> (hmm, Guido - about that time machine?) I think the best way of
>> helping is with patch triage.
>>

> Since it is a hard and long process  "to know it all"  in Python, and
> to become a core developer
>
> What about having two level of devs ?
>
> + core developers
> + standard library developers
>
> I mean, the standard library could be open ihmo to a wider range of people,
> or maybe even having people specialized in some packages, modules, even
> if they don't know anything about the C apis of the core.
>
> Those "standard library developers" could be blessed to work on
> specific areas of the standard
> library and "followed" by a core developer that can just make sure
> everything goes in the right direction
> without having too much extra work for that.
>
> Regards,
> Tarek

Interestingly enough, I consider myself in the "standard library
developers" RE: the multiprocessing package. I just thought that's how
things broke down unofficially. I personally don't feel comfortable
doing much of anything outside of my sandbox, but am more than willing
to commit patches that have been reviewed by people my senior (in
skill!).

-jesse