[Python-Dev] My patches

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Oct 30 20:43:02 CET 2008

> Question - is there anything Roundup can do to help triage? Extra
> status or keyword values ("has patch",

There is "patch" keyword already, and a public query "Patches"
(as well as "My Patches")

> "ready to go", ...)?

We could give more people the right to set the resolution to "Accepted".
This is a matter of trust, though - if the committer then still needs
to review it, anyway, nothing is gained.

> More
> canned searches ("Show Open" and "Show Unassigned" aren't a lot of
> help)?

Please go to the "edit" label next to "Search". You can store your
own searches, but you can also share searches with others.

> Custom reports (summaries by type)?

This I don't understand - how is it different from a search?

> Or are such things there and simply not publicised enough?

Perhaps. I really don't know what percentage of interested users
is aware of roundup capabilities.

> I just did a quick experiment, checking for trivial documentation
> patches I could review, and some things became obvious:
>
> 1. There is no way of telling which issues have a patch.

There is the patch keyword, and you can query for it. There is a
canned query published already.

> 2. Some patches marked as "documentation" are doc fixes, others seem
> to be issues where it has been decided that the behaviour is correct
> as is, but needs to be documented. Fair enough, but it's much harder
> to assess the latter, and there's no way of just grabbing the former
> (for example, to spend a spare 30 minutes reviewing simple stuff).

There is the "easy" keyword. Of course, it might also be useful to
triage more issues as "easy".

> 3. There's nothing obvious I can do to move an issue forward. Sure, I
> can make a comment, but that's about it. I'd like something that stood
> a bit more chance of getting noticed (like a status change, or maybe a
> list of people who think this is good to apply, which I can add myself
> to).

The "developer" role has more user interface. I've just given it to you.

> Hmm, I've spent more time on this than I should have, and it's gone
> way off topic. Is there anywhere better to discuss it?

There is the tracker-discuss list for discussion, and the meta tracker
for actual problems/wishes for the tracker.

Regards,
Martin