[Python-Dev] My patches

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Thu Oct 30 22:54:08 CET 2008

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 17:17:02 -0400, "A.M. Kuchling" <amk at amk.ca> wrote:
> [snip]
>
>On some of my issues (esp. ones relating to curses and mailbox.py), I
>feel paralyzed because problems are occurring on platforms I don't
>have access to (e.g. FreeBSD).  The buildbots will report problems,
>but then you have to debug them by committing changes, triggering a
>build, and observing the results.  And all of these actions will send
>e-mail to python-checkins.  (Imagine if every 'print "reached here!"'
>you added while debugging was e-mailed to everyone...)

I do that when I need to.  People whose lives would be ruined by the
receipt of such an email always have the option of leaving the checkin
list.

However, there is a buildbot feature named "try" which lets you submit
a patch (subject to authentication) and performs a build with the patch
applied.  This lets you try lots of little changes without getting your
VCS involved.  It needs to be enabled in the buildmaster configuration
and credentials created for any user who will be given access.

Jean-Paul