[Python-Dev] My patches

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Oct 31 03:37:09 CET 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 17:27, Victor Stinner
<victor.stinner at haypocalc.com> wrote:
> Le Friday 31 October 2008 00:34:32 Paul Moore, vous avez écrit :
>> Agreed. I was thinking vaguely in terms of a type of voting - rather
>> than a status or resolution, it might be more like the nosy list - a
>> list of people who have said they think the patch is OK. The more
>> people on the list, the stronger the assurance that it's acceptable.
>> It is still a matter of trust, of course - nothing can avoid that.
>
> I like this idea. But there are different things to review. Examples:
>  - the bug report: is the bug reproductible? is the bug isolated?
>  - a patch: the patch works? the patch looks correct? or invalid coding style,
> introduce a regression, or anything else
>
>> I was thinking in terms of summary reports (...)
>
> I think that you need an new information: the issue progress, eg.
>  - initial state: 0% => need more information
>  - bug isolated: 25% => need a patch
>  - patch present: 50% => patch needs reviewers
>  - patch reviewed: 75% => patch just have to be applied
>  - issue closed: 100% (done)
>
> Beginners can search for progress < 25%. They can try to reproduce a problem
> to check the Python version, the OS, etc. Or just help to give more
> informations about the issue.
>
> Core developers just have to check for progress >= 75%.

I have a similar list that I have been thinking about proposing. I did
a blog post about it at
http://sayspy.blogspot.com/2008/08/what-are-typical-steps-issue-goes.html
and received positive feedback:

* triage
* verify bug
* test needed
* needs patch
* patch review
* commit review
* committed/rejected

That way all the steps needed are obvious. I was going to start
working on proposing this after doing the first draft of the DVCS PEP.

-Brett