[Python-Dev] Fwd: Removal of GIL through refcounting removal.

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.pp.ru
Fri Oct 31 13:35:00 CET 2008

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 07:59:01AM -0400, Calvin Spealman wrote:
> Has anyone made the argument for keeping the GIL to discourage
> threading?

   I haven't, but I would support such argument. In my humble opinion
multithreading is rarely a good answer, and for multicore CPUs it's a wrong
answer. For multicore CPUs the answer is multiprocessing + IPC (or a good
database; filesystem is not a good database because it requires locking).
   One big problem with multithreading - it violates "divide et conqueror"
principle. In programming almost everything is about separation of access
rights - namespaces, modules, etc. Multithreading model allows a number of
processes to share memory.

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru