[Python-Dev] Add python.exe to PATH environment variable

Eric Smith eric at trueblade.com
Wed Sep 3 13:59:10 CEST 2008

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> On 2008-09-03 04:12, Greg Ewing wrote:
>> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>>
>>> The problem is: how to undo those changes without accidentally
>>> undoing an explicit change made by the user ?
>> Is that really much of an issue? If the PATH contains an
>> entry corresponding to the Python installation that's
>> being uninstalled, then it's not going to work once the
>> installation is gone, so removing it isn't going to do
>> much harm.
>
> You have a point there :-)

Unless you install it with the "add to path" option, deinstall it, and
the reinstall without the "add to path" option. That is, assuming the
install directory is the same every time.

Not that I think this is common, except in testing scenarios.

 > Perhaps we could have an option to place a "python.bat"
 > into C:\Windows\ or C:\Windows\System\.

Except you still have the "last in wins" issue, and you have to make a
decision on whether or not to delete the file.  But I agree that
managing a single batch file is easier than dealing with the PATH
variable, and has fewer side effects (finding DLL's, etc.).

Eric.