[Python-Dev] Add python.exe to PATH environment variable

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Sep 3 16:23:27 CEST 2008

Mark Hammond <mhammond <at> skippinet.com.au> writes:

> I mean that many Windows use the PATH, and as such, may fail if a new
> directory is added to the PATH that contains a DLL they indirectly use.

Then it's just a matter of not putting any DLLs in those directories, isn't it?

> If I *did* expect other programs to be able to find a
> 'python.exe', I'm not sure I'd want to risk that installing a later version
> of Python will change what Python is found.

Most Linux distributions solve that by installing binaries named
/usr/bin/python2.4, /usr/bin/python2.5, etc., and making /usr/bin/python a
symlink to one of those. Thus if a program relies on particular Python version,
it can just use a specific executable rather than a generic one.