[Python-Dev] bsddb alternative (was Re: [issue3769] Deprecate bsddb for removal in 3.0)

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Thu Sep 4 20:19:26 CEST 2008

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 07:01:47PM +0200, Jesus Cea wrote:
->
-> C. Titus Brown wrote:
-> > Since I/we want to distribute pygr to end-users, this is really not a
-> > pleasant prospect.  Also often the installation of Python itself goes
-> > much more smoothly than the installation of separately compiled binary
-> > packages, for all the obvious reasons (compiler/OS versions, lib
-> > versions, etc. etc.)
->
-> I agree. I can check the library with Solaris 10 and several flavors of
-> Linux, but I'm particularly worried about Windows support. I'm unable to
-> provide precompiled libs, and 99.999% of windows users don't know what a
-> "compiler thing" is, let alone being able to compile anything by themselves.

I believe I might be able to help you with this.  More off-list, in a
few weeks; if anyone else needs full Windoze access, Watch This Space, as
they say.

(Yes, I know access is not enough -- you really want someone to be
paying attention on Windows, too.  I'm working on a project or two
there; access to large quantities of talented students is opening up
some ideas :)

--titus
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu