[Python-Dev] 3rd-party dbms

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.pp.ru
Thu Sep 4 20:59:46 CEST 2008

Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> for 3.1 there is nothing saying we can't change shelve and the
> dbm package to allow 3rd-party code to register with the dbm package
> such that bsddb can be used as needed behind the scenes.

   Many years ago I wrote toy hashes based on ZODB and MetaKit. Registering
them with anydbm was easy:

import anydbm
anydbm._names.insert(len(anydbm._names)-1, ['ZODBhash', 'MKhash'])
            # Insert before dumbdbm

   More complex part was to make whichdb to recognize those hashes. I just
monkey-patched whichdb. If I were doing this now I'd do something similar
to atexit module - every hash module will register its own test function,
and whichdb will call them in turn until it finds which db it is.

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru