[Python-Dev] bsddb and sqlite

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.pp.ru
Sun Sep 7 21:01:21 CEST 2008

On Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 11:34:37AM -0700, Gregory P. Smith wrote:
> You could probably have built the bsddb185 module and loaded your data
> from that and rewritten it using the new bsddb module.

   I built bsddb185, loaded old data, exported it to... I don't remember
now, but I clearly remember I stopped using bsddb.

> The lesson for python: when that happens lets write the code to make
> the transition between formats trivial.

   For me the lesson is different - do not include modules in the stdlib
that relies on unstable 3rd party libraries. I consider bsddb unstable.
sqlite is more stable, but PySQLite... there are many minor releases between
Python releases; my humble opinion is it'd be better to have one external
PySQLite module than two (PySQLite and sqlite3).

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru