[Python-Dev] Add python.exe to PATH environment variable

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Sep 9 03:47:57 CEST 2008

Greg Ewing wrote:
> Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>
>> OTOH, other things *are* available, such as registered extensions.
>> For example, you don't need python on PATH to start a Python script;
>> just invoking the .py file will find the Python interpreter from the
>> registry.
>
> But then you don't get to pass arguments to the program,
> get to see the output before the window disappears, etc.

I believe you are confusing the command-line PATHEXT mechanism with the
Explorer/registry execution mechanism:

C:\Users\sholden\Documents\dyjr>python
'python' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\sholden\Documents\dyjr>manage.py
Type 'manage.py help' for usage.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119