[Python-Dev] ',' precedence in documentation

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Sep 15 06:12:40 CEST 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Leif Walsh <leif.walsh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 11:36 PM, Eric Smith <eric at trueblade.com> wrote:
>> If we really want to change it, I think:
>>  assert B as S
>> is better because S is the string to report; that is, "if B is false, report
>> the problem as the string S".
>>
>> 'else' implies to me what to do if you're not failing the assert, which is
>> not the case.
>
> Doesn't imply that to me.  I read it as 'first you assert that B is
> true; if not (else), you print S'.
>
> Personally, I like 'else' better than 'as', because 'as' seems to
> contain the notion of assignment.

That's my gut feeling too, but I don't like 'else' all that much
either (if would also make things like"assert x if t else b, msg" less
readable I think). Maybe "assert B with S"???

FWIW I don't like turning it into a function either, and I *really*
don't like keeping the keyword but changing the syntax to be
function-like.