[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] Python Regression Test Failures basics (1)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 14:04:13 CEST 2008

Neal Norwitz wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 5:24 AM, Benjamin Peterson
> <musiccomposition at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 4:07 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com>
>>  wrote:
>>> issue 3111! ...
>>> Neal,
>>>
>>> What environment are you using to run the debug-mode regression
>>> tests? The above four tests run without any problems for me, but
>>>  I'm just running them in a normal Kubuntu desktop shell.
>> Something in Neal's build which has made a difference before is
>> that the tests are run after a "make install".
>
> Benjamin is correct.  See Misc/build.sh for the script that generates
>  this.  See http://docs.python.org/dev/results/ for details about the
>  most recent run.

Hmm, even after doing a make altinstall (don't want to mess with the
system Python!), I still can't reproduce those failures. I had to give
the test suite elevated privileges to get test_distutils and test_tcl to
work properly, and this machine has some audio issues that upset
test_linuxaudiodev and test_ossaudiodev, but the four tests that are
failing in Neal's tests all run fine.

Are these being run in a sub-environment of some kind to avoid messing
up the machine, and that environment is missing the /dev/* tree from the
filesystem? (the particular error being triggered by the
test_multiprocessing failure indicates that as a possible cause, and the
test_ioctl problem relates to not being able to find /dev/tty).

Since these tests are an additional kind of buildbot, I'd really like to
see them all passing before rc2 goes out, but I think I've reached the
limits of what I can figure out from this side of the Pacific.

Cheers,
Nick.