[Python-Dev] FreeBSD 7 amd64 and large memory tests

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Sep 18 15:10:49 CEST 2008

> It seems to me that the most practical way forward is to just institute a
> policy that tests that want to try and test out of memory behaviour must
> ensure that appropriate resource limits are in place

IMO, there shouldn't be any tests in the test suite that rely on
exhaustion of all available memory. The MemoryError tests should all
deal with overflow situations only.

If stress-testing is desired, it should be done with platform support,
i.e. with a malloc implementation that randomly fails. OTOH, I would
hope that the static-analysis tools that Python gets run through find
failures to properly check for NULL results much better than
stress-testing.

Regards,
Martin