[Python-Dev] Filename as byte string in python 2.6 or 3.0?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Sep 27 19:41:50 CEST 2008

> I think that the problem is important because it's a regression from 2.5 to
> 2.6/3.0. Python 2.5 uses bytes filename, so it was possible to
> open/unlink "invalid" unicode strings (since it's not unicode but bytes).

I'd like to stress that the problem is *not* a regression from 2.5 to 2.6.

As for 3.0, I'd like to argue that the problem is a minor issue. Even
though you may run into file names that can't be decoded, that happening
really indicates some bigger problem in the management of the system
where this happens, and the proper solution (IMO) should be to change
the system (leaving open the question whether or not Python should
be also changed to work with such broken systems).

Regards,
Martin