[Python-Dev] Let's update CObject API so it is safe and regular!

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Thu Apr 2 21:22:51 CEST 2009

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 6:22 AM, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
>> The original use case for CObjects was to export an API from a module, in
>> which case, you'd be importing the API from the module.
> I consider this the *only* use case. What other use cases are there?

Exporting a C/C++ data structure:

Some folks don't register a proper type; they just wrap their objects in
CObjects and add module methods.

The "obscure" method in the "Robin" package (
http://code.google.com/p/robin/ ) curiously wraps a *Python* object in a

I must admit I don't understand why this is a good idea.

There are many more wild & wooly use cases to be found if you Google for
"PyCObject_FromVoidPtr".  Using CObject to exporting C APIs seems to be
the minority, outside the CPython sources anyway.