[Python-Dev] PyDict_SetItem hook

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Fri Apr 3 20:00:43 CEST 2009

Collin Winter wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Michael Foord
> <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Collin Winter wrote:
>>
>>> As part of the common standard library and test suite that we agreed
>>> on at the PyCon language summit last week, we're going to include a
>>> common benchmark suite that all Python implementations can share. This
>>> is still some months off, though, so there'll be plenty of time to
>>> bikeshed^Wrationally discuss which benchmarks should go in there.
>>>

>> Where is the right place for us to discuss this common benchmark and test
>> suite?
>>
>> As the benchmark is developed I would like to ensure it can run on
>> IronPython.
>>
>> The test suite changes will need some discussion as well - Jython and
>> IronPython (and probably PyPy) have almost identical changes to tests that
>> currently rely on deterministic finalisation (reference counting) so it
>> makes sense to test changes on both platforms and commit a single solution.
>>

> I believe Brett Cannon is the best person to talk to about this kind
> of thing. I don't know that any common mailing list has been set up,
> though there may be and Brett just hasn't told anyone yet :)
>
> Collin

Which begs the question of whether we *should* have a separate mailing list.

I don't think we discussed this specific point in the language summit -
although it makes sense. Should we have a list specifically for the test
/ benchmarking or would a more general implementations-sig be appropriate?

And is it really Brett who sets up mailing lists? My understanding is
that he is pulling out of stuff for a while anyway, so that he can do
Java / Phd type things... ;-)

Michael

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/